FBI Launches Investigation into Alleged Sexual Exploitation by Former Abercrombie & Fitch CEO
The FBI has initiated an investigation following allegations that the former CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch (A&F), Mike Jeffries, and his partner sexually exploited and abused men at events around the world. These claims came to light after a BBC documentary and podcast series uncovered shocking revelations about the former CEO’s alleged misconduct.
Allegations and Civil Lawsuit
The BBC documentary disclosed allegations of sexual exploitation involving Mike Jeffries and his partner, Matthew Smith, at events hosted in various global locations, including New York, Paris, London, and Marrakesh, between 2009 and 2015. It was reported that the former CEO and his partner engaged in sexual activities with young men or directed them to have sexual encounters with each other. Furthermore, documents uncovered by the BBC suggested the existence of a highly organized operation involving a network of recruiters and a middleman, James Jacobson.
Response and Legal Action
In response to the allegations, A&F expressed its dismay and suspended a significant portion of Jeffries’ retirement payments. However, both Jeffries and Smith have refrained from commenting on the allegations.
Subsequently, a civil lawsuit was filed against A&F, accusing the company of funding a sex-trafficking operation orchestrated by Jeffries and Smith between 1992 and 2014. The lawsuit further alleges that over 100 men were sexually abused by Jeffries during his tenure as CEO, under the pretense of being offered modeling opportunities with Abercrombie.
Official Investigation and Responses
The FBI has now stepped in, with agents specializing in alleged sex crimes leading the investigation. Federal prosecutors from the Eastern District of New York are also involved, issuing subpoenas and interviewing potential witnesses, as reported by various sources. Both the FBI and the US Attorney’s Office declined to provide further comments.
The lawyer representing Jeffries declined to comment on the matter, while Smith has not responded to the BBC’s allegations.
The article ends with information on how to access the BBC documentary and podcast series for further details on this evolving scandal.
– The FBI has launched an investigation into the alleged sexual exploitation by the former CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch, Mike Jeffries.
– A BBC documentary and podcast series exposed allegations involving Jeffries and his partner, Matthew Smith, engaging in sexual exploitation at events globally.
– A civil lawsuit was filed against A&F, accusing the company of funding a sex-trafficking operation led by Jeffries and Smith.
– Both Jeffries and Smith have refrained from commenting on the allegations, while A&F has suspended a significant portion of Jeffries’ retirement payments.
– The FBI investigation involves agents specializing in alleged sex crimes and federal prosecutors from the Eastern District of New York.
This provides a brief overview of the allegations, the responses, and the official investigations initiated in response to these alarming claims.